Thursday, September 4, 2008

Raisin' McCain

McCain's speech at the RNC tonight was as expected, meh. The guy is a "maverick" (which is great verbal branding by the way). A war hero. A great man. I liked when he spelled out his policies and distanced himself from both his opponent and his own party. He did what he needed to do.

He did a decent job with his oration, but basically reinforced the same ideas I already had about him. He'll never be the public speaker that Obama is (or for that matter his candidate for VP is), but all the same, he gave a respectable presentation of who he is and where he came from. He spelled out his policies and plans and that seemed honest and straightforward.


Let me tell you, if I heard one more commentary about the balloon dropping, I was going to blow a gasket. We had the TV on ABC, and the newscasters started commenting for an extended period of time about the balloons and confetti falling from the ceiling rather than about the speech that just took place. It was disgraceful. And then we switched channels to CNN and lo and behold, they were marvelling at the balloon drop too. Apparently if you want to impress the media, just drop a few patriotic-colored helium-filled rubber things from the sky.

Gee guys; don't comment on the speech, please. We want to hear about how cool the convention decorations are.

2 comments:

  1. I actually like listening to him, believe it or not. Not so much flashiness (which I tend to distrust in both politicians and "ordinary" people). Makes it seem more like the truth. And I think that he has some brilliant strategists working for him--considering both his VP choice and his speech. He kept his criticism of Obama and his discussion of ideology very minimal. Good moves. And yes, quite frankly, I don't give a damn about the balloons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment just made my day:)

    ReplyDelete