Sunday, May 4, 2008

Maplewood

GreenhouseYesterday I went to the grand opening of the new greenhouse and produce store in Shippensburg called Maplewood. The family who runs it is Amish. I always see their children in the fields tending to their plants. I don't know whether to feel bad for the kids or not. They seem to like their lifestyle... but goodness, shouldn't they be it school? or playing? or something other than hunching over the fields all day long?

Pink FlowersBut anyway, the new greenhouse was huge! There were hanging baskets everywhere and tons of gorgeous flowers. There was pink and blue and yellow and orange and red and green everywhere you turned! My family bought some plants and delicious homemade bread. The Amish sure do know how to do organic farming and baked goods. I have to give them that.

6 comments:

  1. ooooooooo...i need to check that out...it looks really nice from the outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, they're not Amish. They're horse & buggy Mennonite. And I'm pretty sure its not organic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not organic? actually, what makes something organic/not organic?

    ReplyDelete
  4. tami, have you checked out my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really, they're not Amish? I really thought they were. They seem stricter though. My apologies. Mennonite they are.

    Really not organic? I really thought it was. Some of the signs say 'organic' on them. Are the products at least local, and not from Mexico or something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I read your blog too Emily. But I can't leave comments on it.

    As far as the organic thing, if it says its organic it probably is. I just figured you meant that all Amish grow organic food.

    ReplyDelete