Saturday, March 15, 2008

Cannoli, Cannolo, Cannol __whatever

After scouring all of Italy for cannoli, I never got one. To be honest, I had thought I had gotten one, but my lovely Mirabile Inventu friends assured my that that thing I got from the bakery down the street in Venice was in no way a cannoli.

I had been so happy. And then so sad.

But anyway, almost a year later, Emily C. found one in Washington DC, and got it for me. Yummy. Now I've had a cannolo, maybe not from Italy, but I've had one nonetheless. It was great.

There has also been some confusion among my friends about the term, "cannoli." Wikipedai says:
Cannoli are Sicilian pastry desserts. The singular is cannolo, meaning “little tube”, with the etymology stemming from the Latin "canna", or reed... Cannoli consist of tube-shaped shells of fried pastry dough, filled with a sweet, creamy filling
Now we know.

No comments:

Post a Comment