Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Doerr's The Shell Collector

I am reading The Shell Collector by Anthony Doerr right now, and can I just say, it is amazing. I love this book. It is literary fiction at its finest. The short stories are well-crafted, intense, smooth, thoughtful, and delightfully written. I love the use of language. Doerr has a beautiful style that I highly appreciate. His sentences and ideas flow into one another to create acute descriptions and poetic phrases. He writes with authority and narrates with ease. I know. I know. This description is gushing. But it's true, I'm gushing over this book, especially fresh after my fiction writing courses. These are the caliber of stories that I aspire to. You have to read this book, especially if you have a thing for lit fiction like I do. Ahhhh. Beauty in words.

No comments:

Post a Comment