However, I've been researching "packratism" online and I realized that I am not nearly as bad as some people out there. Wikipedia has to say about the issue:
Compulsive hoarding (or pathological hoarding) is extreme hoarding behaviour in humans. It involves the collection and/or failure to discard large numbers of objects even when their storage causes significant clutter and impairment to basic living activities such as moving around the house, cooking, cleaning, showering or sleeping. Hoarding rubbish may be referred to as syllogomania or disposophobia. A slang term for a compulsive hoarder is pack rat or packrat.Woah! I am not THAT bad. But I do have some advice for fellow packraters like me:
- It's ok to let stuff go. There is no need to keep completely unnecessary things.
- A good way to part with stuff is to just keep one item that can represent an entire group of things.
- If you donate your nice old junk then maybe someone else can actually benefit from it who needs it. Lets face it, You don't need 20 purses, 14 of which you haven't touched in the past year.
- Or if you have time, you could sell your stuff on Ebay which means $$ for the things piled on the stack of junk blocking the path to your bed.
- The most important thing to remember is that it will feel good to clear the clutter from your life.
Gosh. Way to make me feel guilty. At least I know where I get it from...