Sunday, October 16, 2005

I learn something new everyday

Ha ha, you really do learn something new everyday. Today I typed a phrase into google that someone had used in an email and guess what I found? (Copied directly from the web site)

"A fate worse than death"

Meaning:
Rape or loss of virginity.

Origin:
Probably originated in Victorian England and attested to the belief that a dishonoured woman was better off dead. Still used but ironically of late. Edgar Rice Burroughs used it in his Tarzan of the Apes, 1914. 'The ape ... bearing Jane Porter away toward a fate a thousand times worse than death'.

Sooo, the moral of the story is, always be careful of what phrases you use, and be sure they don't allude to things that you really don't mean to say.

3 comments:

  1. the only other person who knows who you're talking aboutOctober 17, 2005

    Yeah, well, with him, I wouldn't be surprised if he was raped at the show....do you know what he did now?! I swear, I'll throw him outta the plane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calm down. You are going to have to be nice you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? There is no reason for Emmy to be nice....I do not like to lie. Lying and deceit is a sin.

    ReplyDelete