Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Take that, Brainiac

This is a test. Look at the image and determine which way the dancer is rotating. Which direction is she turning? Counter-clockwise or clockwise?

dancer
Which way did you see her spining?

If you saw her rotating clockwise you are right brained.
If you saw her rotating counter-clockwise you are left brained.

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe

brainWhen I looked at her first, I saw her twirling to the right or rather clockwise. That means I'm right brained. I'd agree with that. I'm generally more creative than concrete, more philosophical, and a present and future kind of gal. But more emotional? Nah, they got that wrong. If anything I'm more "logical," "practical" and "reality based." When I examined her shadow, all of the sudden, I saw her spinning the other way (even before I read the significance of determining direction). Does that mean I'm abnormally balanced between the left and right brain?

I've always felt that tests like these suggest too much conformity and black or white categorization of self that is limiting and dangerously destructive. When sciencey people shun the arts and artsy people shun the sciences we only further create a divide that doesn't belong there. Advanced physics is more abstract. Good art makes mathematical sense. All fields converge into one larger base of knowledge that interconnects all parts. I guess my question is how singularly left or right brained can a person be? Most of us have the whole freakin' brain there, why must one half if be dominant all the time? Give your other side of the brain a cup of tea. Take it out to dinner every once in a while. Be a well-balanced individual.

Brain functions list and image from Perth Now, part of Austrailia's news.com

3 comments:

  1. ummm..jenn? you have clockwise for both right and left brained

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel that i'm both sides of the brain as well. I can see the girl going both ways, but saw her first as counterclock, but there is no way you can tell me that i'm not present and future and past. i am a good mixture of both sides' characteristics. do you think those that use both sides are more adapt to survive? "survival of the fittest"? b/c then no matter the situation, what side of brain is best tailored to the situation, will take over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoops, fixed.

    I think you do lean more on the left-brained side, Em. No, I don't think its survival of the fittest. I really do think people have a tendancy for the one or the other whether through nature or nurture, though, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete