Sunday, December 3, 2006

Marianela

Two months ago I read this horrible awful book that made me feel horrible and awful. It is called Marianela, by Galdos. It is supposed to be a classic of Spanish literature so i read it (in Spanish I might add--yay me), but it was just the worst story ever. (Ok not as creepy as American Psycho by Ellis that I read over the summer, but rather just sad)

Marianela So Marianela is an unattractive girl that has a blind friend, Pablo, with whom she shares a mutual love. A doctor comes and fixes Pablo's sight, and the little girl in everyone, wants the story to have a fairytale ending in which the two get married and live happily ever after. Well, they don't. It may be expected, but the reader is jolted from their peaceful, quiet reading, to an ugly truth about humans. I won't tell you what happens, but don't plan on smiling at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment