Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Mystery of the Missing 54 Pieces of Candy

Shudder. I had bought several bags of Hershey's kisses (to persuade people to vote Jamal and me in the contest we're in, because everyone knows food is a great motivator). I wanted to know how many kisses were in each bag, so I could know if I had bought enough; thus I counted every piece in the bag and then laid the bag beside my bed. I counted exactly 54 pieces of chocolate.

Then I leave the house for awhile and come back to find a Hershey kiss wrapper by my door. I thought it was quite strange since I hadn't even eaten one piece of it. So I go to the bag of kisses to see what happened, and lo and behold, the bag is knocked over on it's side and when I pick it up, completely empty. Huh? That's so weird. I look around to see if the chocolate spilled out of the bag. It hasn't. Then I look under my dresser to find shiney pastel colored foil shredded and scattered everywhere.

What on earth? SOMETHING had unwrapped and eaten 54 pieces of chocolate, and that something was not me!! I call my landlord, and he comes with a golf club to search out the whole apartment and finds nothing. He promises to call pest control and in the meanwhile I call my mother who tells me, oh if it's mice they can climb. At this point I have a mini panic attack frought with hysterical crying and the inability to breathe. Of course I'm imagining the worst. The downfall of a creative imagination. Maybe it's a horde of mice who will climb up my bed while I sleep and eat the flesh off my bones. I'm a clean person, this shouldn't happen to me.

Fortunately, my very nice landlords allow me to stay in their guest bedroom until the extermminator is able to come and diagnose and eradicate the problem. There is no way I want to be in a space with something that can crawl and eat 54 pieces of chocolate in one night.

Boy this contest has turned to out be a whole lot more stressful than I could have ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment