Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Went to another Nats game. We lost...again. That's ok though. We still had a lot of fun. This time it didn't rain, and Lincoln won the president's race. And, I now have a pretty red hat which makes me an official fan.


I kept think throughout the game how many references in American culture have come from baseball. If you knew nothing about the game, you'd have no idea what these things meant.

Three strikes and you're out
Batter's up
Home run
Touch base
In the ball park
Threw me a curve ball
Came out of left field

And those are just the ones that I could come up with. WIkipedia did a much better job. Do you think the big fat list of idioms that originated from baseball proves it's our nation's favorite pastime? Or have we moved on to say, American football?

No comments:

Post a Comment