Monday, September 14, 2009

Religion in Uruguay

Religion in Uruguay is not widespread. Uruguay is often considered one of the most secular countries in the Americas. Most people I have come to know fit this generalization fairly well. Religion is not a big part of people's lives here, but on the bright side, there is a lot of religious freedom.

A few quick stats:
47.1% of Uruguayans define themselves as Roman Catholic
23.2% as believing in God but without religion
17.2% as Atheist or Agnostic
11.1% as Protestant Christian
The population is largely non-religious, or religious, but not practicing, or what I would call "casually religious."


That said, religion does exist here. This Sunday a friend invited me to church so I went. It was the first time I've been to a church in many many months. It felt good. It felt like home. Something that has been missing from my life for a long time. The people's love for God and for others was very evident.

I think I will go back next week.

1 comment:

  1. Finding a that fits you is hard. I could not imagine finding a church in another country where it isn't popular.

    ReplyDelete