Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hamburgers, Hotdogs, and Mayonnaise?

One food group I didn't expect to find in South America was hot dogs, but oh, I was wrong. Hot dogs are on just about every menu--panchos and super panchos. I haven't brave enough to try one yet since getting here. (I blame the PBS special I watched a few years back on the making of hot dogs. Mistake. I can't even look at a hot dog the same way).

They have the familiar hot dog stand that a vendor roll around and set up along the streets.

Hamburgers are also popular here. Only their hamburguesas completas come with lettuce, tomato, bacon, fried egg, mayonaisse, and a side of french fries. Talk about clogged arteries.

If I haven't mentioned already, Uruguayan's love their mayonaisse. Instead of serving butter with the basket of bread at dinner, they serve a dish of mayonaise. The first few time this happened we look at each other and said, hmmm, what are we supposed to do with this white stuff they brough out with our bread? Also, many other dishes are smothered in mayonaisse too. Rice? With mayonaisse. Salads? With mayonnaise. French fries? You can probably get those with mayonnaise too.

No comments:

Post a Comment